Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

One torrid affair it was…


Some journeys are meant to be taken. Some relationships are meant to be formed. Some moments have to be experienced. All that, to make you what you are.

My affair with advertising, which started as a hesitant and a shaky first step and took its own sweet time to evolve, is what I am talking about. The journey began on December 20, 2010 with Bates 141. Looking at an advertising agency from the outside was always one of glamour and fun. Fun it sure was. But not without its share of work, toil, tears and madness!

Yes, in this period of 13 months precisely, there never was a dull moment. Either I was busy with work or I was busy pakaofying some friends or shedding tears when a friend was quitting or looking at my PC perplexed wondering what I am doing to my life. Whatever it was, there were many hysterical moments. I got to know what an advertising agency was from the inside. The work, the people, the feel et al.

Sitting in meetings with some idea to crack and doing everything but that, uttering cuss words with an ease, working late-nights, desperately running for the printouts before a crucial meeting and then finding the printer out of order, moments that brought me to tears because of sheer pressure or emotional outburst and being a witness to some smart work. There was no dearth of fireworks! 

I can however very safely say that I lived through this madness with the most amazing set of people I met in this place. Right from the security guy at the gate, to the canteen chaps, really supportive people in the studio, very helpful finance guys, the fun people in the creative, the always in the hurry account management people, the support staff and ofcourse, the bosses. Everyone. Each one of them was there when I needed their help. Or any help. I have made some real good friends here and this place has given me some really good moments to look back and smile. 

As I prepare myself for the new workplace, I shall forever look at Bates as the starting field which taught me whatever I know of in advertising, on handling people and having a little fun while you work. My boss, while saying goodbye, told me, ‘Don’t forget to have fun at work. That is very important.’ Bates gave me friends and relationships that I will cherish for a long time. And yes, the farewell, a cup of steaming hot filter coffee at Udupi. 

And for the first time in my life, when I am taking this turn, I am sure of the direction I am headed to. I have just started the journey and I may not know the destination yet but I am going to learn each day. And live each day.

Ending this with a quote I read somewhere:

The road of life twists and turns and no two directions are ever the same. Yet our lessons come from the journey, not the destination.


6 comments:

  1. superbly crafted naina...god bless n best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. superbly crafted naina...god bless n best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The convocation is over lady. While the Graduation was interesting, Masters would be the real test.....cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Hitesh - Thank you very much!
    @Sailesh - Well, yes. The real test begins now. Hope I fare better than my grad exams. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I missed this, brilliantly written Nainu :-)

    All the best !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot voodoo..you are one of those who were there with me and I am lucky to have you around. Even though we dont get to talk that much now. Love!

    ReplyDelete